Linux Systems Administrator
We're looking for a mid-level sysadmin/dba to help with the care and feeding of our high volume web/db infrastructure for our 20 million + users. We're small enough so your opinions matter, yet big enough so you get to play with a lot of expensive toys. If you're a standout geek amongst your peers and want to work with a small, energetic software dev company/application service provider in the DC area, please send over your cover letter and resume.
The mid-level Systems Administrator/Database Administrator will help with the care and feeding of Symplicity's high volume web/database infrastructure. The Sysadmin/DBA will work on a high-energy, multi-departmental team to oversee and assure the proper usage and deployment of Symplicity's data and exciting, next-generation databases for higher education, government, and/or corporate clients.
• Linux Server Management. Installation of Linux and related software stacks for various services, and maintaining these servers/services in a 24x7 production environment. Experience with RedHat is a must - familiarity with other Unix/Linux distributions is welcome.
• Hardware Maintenance. Installing/maintain x86 (64 bit) architecture servers - including building from components; installing/upgrading memory/storage; diagnosing problems.
• General Database Management. As a central source of systems and database knowledge in the organization, must understand the basic rules of relational database technology and be able to accurately communicate them to others; diagnose and debug performance bottlenecks; identify missing indexes; perform backups/restores. Symplicity's primary DB platform is MySQL, but experience with other vendors' products is desirable, particularly MS SQL Server and Oracle.
• Capacity Planning. Because data consumption and usage continue to grow, must be prepared to support more data, more users, and more connections.
• Performance Management and Tuning. Proactively monitor systems and make changes to system configurations, data structures, application logic to optimize performance and availability.
• Data Security. Implement and maintain rigorous security infrastructure and processes for various environments.
• Backup and Recovery. Implement/maintain appropriate backup and recovery strategies for various types of servers and clients.
• Desktop Management. Install/maintain/support desktop computers and application software for Symplicity Staff.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Previous experience as Linux/Unix administrator preferred
• Experience supporting IMAP/POP/SMTP email a must
• Must be able to compile/install/configure server software (apache, openldap, php, etc)
• Strong knowledge in setup and deployment of database
• Experience in managing large database sizes a plus (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle)
• Strong knowledge in optimization and interrogation of databases
• Experience in data integration and database design
• Experience with monitoring logs to identify problems
• Deeply familiar with networking including installation/configuration of routers, switches, firewalls, desktops
• Powerful Linux Shell Skills (use grep, sed, awk, find, etc)
• Skilled with scripting languages such as PHP, Ruby, Python
• Comfort with HTTP service architecture, optimization a big plus
• Server scripting tools including perl/bash/sh/tcsh/csh or some combination required
• Knowledge of DNS, preferably BIND
• Experience with Phone Systems such as Asterisk and Hylafax Servers preferred
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent exp
How to Apply:
If you meet the requirements above, and are interested in working on exciting projects with a strong DC area company, please send a cover letter and resume with salary requirements.
Symplicity offers the following benefits for full-time employees:
- Flexible Spending
- 401K plan with an employer contribution match
- Stock options program offered to top performers after two years of employment
- Commuter benefits
Work Life Balance
Paid time off includes:
- Sick Leave
- Personal Days
Casual & Fun Atmosphere
Symplicity is headquartered in vibrant Arlington, VA, just a few blocks from the Rosslyn Metro station. While headquartered right outside of Washington, D.C., we also have employees working remotely throughout the country and embrace workplace flexibility. We value hard work, and believe a casual and fun atmosphere without a stuffy dress code or unnecessary bureaucracies allows our employees to focus on the important stuff and get things done. Symplicity’s headquarters offers comfortable workspaces, a full kitchen, and company-provided snacks.
Life at Symplicity
Big time responsibilities right away
Symplicity challenges its employees to succeed by offering a wide array of experiences and responsibilities. Out of the gate you will be given the ability to showcase your skills, influence decisions, and contribute. You will work hard and learn new things every day. Symplicity professionals are hired not only for their technical knowledge, but also for their ability to apply their skills to solving every client's unique problems.
Be part of something
Whether you are a new software developer, a salesperson, or part of customer support, your work will have a direct impact, not only internally at Symplicity, but with our clients. One day you might be working on a project for a major politician. The next day you might be part of developing an application that revolutionizes how employers worldwide connect with job applicants. We are looking for leaders and innovators as we continue to grow and revolutionize our products and services.
The location doesn't hurt
Symplicity is located just outside of Washington, DC in the Rosslyn neighborhood of Arlington, VA. Not bad considering that Arlington is the birthplace of the internet. It's true. Arlington based Defense Department Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) built the Interface Message Processor (IMP) to carry data to and from different specialized computers mostly in the U.S. university community. DARPA created ARPANET, which ultimately became the Internet. Symplicity's office is accessible by both METRO Rail and Bus lines.